3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

4.30.2006

#102 - Mr. Sambo

Artist: Richie Sambora/Tico Torres/Hugh McDonald
Album: Guitars That Rule the World
Other Versions: None (included in a video game, I believe it was called Johnny Bazookatone)
Era: N/A

I don't like guitar.

(We know, we know, we know. Jesus, we know)

I especially don't like instrumental guitar tracks. And as much as I love drums, especially when they're played by Tico, I don't much love drum tracks on their own. So I listened to this once and set it aside.

Couple weeks, maybe months later I was bored in a class and did a search for "Tico Torres" on the DryCounty board. A topic about Mr. Sambo came up at one point - turns out, not only did he play on it (I didn't even know that actually, I had assumed it was Richie and studio musicians), he co-wrote and produced it. So I was all "neato!".

Soon as I got back to the dorm, I listened to it again.

And I still didn't like that it was a mainly guitar and drum track (with a really cool bass line).

I don't know if I expected that knowing Tico was way more involved than I thought would make me fall in love with it just because it's got "Tico" stamped all over it, but I didn't expect to have the same reaction as the first time. Another "eh, it's okay" and I set it aside to let it come up randomly on shuffle.

It's grown on me some. Not a lot, because no matter how good it is it's not going to overtake that ingrained dislike of guitar, that indifference to drums on their own. I can listen to a piano by itself for hours and hours, but anything else just doesn't work. But it's a very technically accomplished song. When people argue that Richie isn't that great a player, he just fits into the Bon Jovi niche nicely, I point them to this.

(Interestingly enough, I've never heard anyone call Tico a bad drummer. I've heard Richie's a mediocre guitarist, heard David called "the biggest coattail rider in rock history", but I've never heard anyone insult Tico except to call him ugly [they're wrong])

The one big thing this has going for it is it's really awesome to listen to doing homework. When I want something instrumental, normally I go right for David's solo stuff, or the Steinway to Heaven cd, but those relax the Hell out of me. So if I need to be awake, this and "Moby Dick" are really awesome.

My Rating: 6/10

Some witty comment about the early 80s
  • Roulette
  • Burning for Love

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never heard this song. Instrumentals tend to bore me slightly, unless something really catches me.

I vote Roulette! Woooo - best on BJ by far (next to Runaway and She Don't Know Me, of course).

Anonymous said...

I' ve never heard thid song too. But I think that I'd enjoy it.
Burning for love

Anonymous said...

wow I've never heard of this song, but that's cool it was in a video game.

Roulette.

Anonymous said...

Burning For Love (optional lyrics: for my dead keyboard..)