3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

4.19.2006

#91 - Something for the Pain

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: These Days, One Wild Night (Live)
Other Versions: None
Era: 90s "moody rock"

Lyrics
Video

I don't like the sprinkly bells in the beginning, but I do like the guitar intro. The guitar in this song in general is very cool, having it showcased in the beginning is awesome.

I'd accuse this song of being the origin of emo ("they don't make no band-aid that's gonna cover my bruise", "loneliness has found a home in me", "I opened up my heart but all I did was bleed") except it's so darned happy. This is the most upbeat song about being depressed I've ever heard. And I bet it's the only love song about being depressed, barring "my baby left me" type love songs.

It's rare that my favorite part of a song has anything to do with Richie. In this one, my two favorite things are Richie. I already mentioned the guitar being cool, and I really, really love the part he sings. Especially "take me higher than I've ever been/take me down/and back again". It's this cool little ode within the song to the person being sung to, and I adore it. And his voice is really perfect for it.

Also, I like how the video implies Richie's addicted to pills. I mean, it only does that if you think about it the right way. Everyone's in front of a green screen with a background playing on it that shows random stuff, and Richie's has pills. Lots and lots of pills. Yes, I know it's because pills are "something for the pain", and if the screen is meant to imply addiction, Tico's addicted to playing piano (or piano players. ahem). Still, I enjoy it, and it makes me giggle.

I love the "Yeah, I had a taste/You were my fantasy" and "I don't need no lover/Just to get screwed" lines.

Random observation: their two songs about "medication" are opposites, thematically. This is a love song, "Novocaine" is a divorce song

My Rating: 8/10

Mm, box set-y goodness
  • Ordinary People
  • Real Life
Edited 4/20/06: Added video

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Umm, maybe Ordinary People..