3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

4.29.2006

#101 - Mystery Train

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: Crush
Other Versions: Acoustic from Yokohama 2003
Era: Early 00s "hard pop"

Lyrics

Most Jovi songs stand up really well to repeated listenings. Lyrically, they're deep enough that you can find something new to interest you, something you didn't notice or didn't think about the first time through. And usually, musically, they suck you right in and make you feel it, and it's hard to get sick of a cool experience like that.

Here's an exception. I loved this song the first time I heard it. So I listened to it a lot. And unlike "This Ain't A Love Song" or "My Guitar Lies Bleeding in My Arms" or "One Wild Night" or even "Price of Love" and "Only Lonely", I liked it less and less each time, until I really hated it.

But it's a neat little pop song. It's light and fluffy, and there are some really great lyrics. As a whole it isn't that great lyrically, but I love "she'll always make it better, but won't apologize" and "like a stiff drink when you need it, she's good at being bad" (man do they love singing about alcohol. Buncha drunks).

I don't know why I fell so in love with this at first. I'll bet it was the combo of high organ and acoustic guitars, and then the overly poppy synth piano stuff. It's upbeat but without being too happy, annoyingly "whee I am in LOVE and it is SO AWESOME oh YES". I like the tempo of it - it's not too fast, it's not slow, it's nicely middle of the road. And unlike "In These Arms", that middle-ness fits.

Jon's voice here isn't great, but it isn't terrible. I'd kind of like to hear David sing this - not just because I'd like to make David sing everything on Earth so I never run out of chances to hear his voice, but because I think his voice would fit it well. It's not quite right for Jon - there are places where he's so rough it makes my throat sore - and I don't think Richie would work it right either. David should do this one next time he feels like singing a Bon Jovi song on a solo album. Which he better be planning to make another one of, or I'll hit him right in the face.

My Rating: 6/10

Words are for losers.
  • Room Full of Blues (David)
  • Mr. Sambo (Richie and Tico)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mystery Train might be the weakes song on Crush next to I Got the Girl.

Room Full of Blues.

Anonymous said...

Let's just settle on the whole second half of Crush is weak (minus OWN of course)


Mr Sambo. Even if I get a headache from it if I listen to it with headphones lol.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree on your opinion of Mystery Train. It's the kind of song that gets weak over time.

I vote for Mr Sambo.