3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

4.08.2006

#84 - Undivided

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: Bounce
Other Versions: None
Era:
Early 00s "hard pop"

Lyrics

I almost feel guilty for not liking this one more. It's rooted in real emotion, which I respect, and I like the message, I like the lyrics, I like the tone. But for some reason, I just can't get into it.

I think it's the computery-ness on the vocals in the verses. That effect takes this very personal song and adds this robotic quality that totally undermines it. Jon is singing something from his heart, and that effect makes it cold and impersonal and totally ruins that.

I like the crunchy guitar and the pounding hardness (hee hee) of the whole thing. "Undivided" rocks. Really hard. I like that they've managed to take anger and sorrow and defiance and hope and roll them all up in one very cohesive package. Other than the robotics, nothing sounds out of place, which is an achievement with so many components. Emotional multitasking.

This is a hella awesome chorus. Lyrically, great. vocally, great. And they've got the instruments at almost the same exact level as the vocals, which makes for an interesting effect. And something about the instruments in the chorus just gets to me. It's very soaring-hopefulness where the verses are very angry-righteous-defiance. Cool mix.

Second best part of the song: "Enough, enough/the time has come to rise back up/" and behind "rise back up" Tico is just building this awesome crescendo with his drums and, well, rising up (hee hee). Awesome.

Best part of the song: The transition at the very end to the quiet acoustic outro. The drum fades out to the exact same thing being played on an acoustic guitar and Jon's voice is hauntingly low and it's gorgeous.

I wish I liked this more. I really do. But for whatever reason, I just don't. I have a feeling it's like "Bounce", and if I heard it live I'd go "OH, I get it. Right."

My Rating: 7/10

It's raining tonight, tomorrow the sidewalks are gonna be Slippery When Wet (ooh, that was BAD):
  • Raise Your Hands
  • Social Disease
Ok, and here's something I think you'll enjoy. A couple nights ago my friend Captain Jovi/Matt wrote a rap about Hugh McDonald, and composed some music for it. I laid down the vocals (I have mad flow) and he mixed it into something TOTALLY AWESOME. And by awesome I mean "that will make your brain explode".

Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Raise Your Hands.
Darn MegaUpload! 'All download slots (100) assigned to your country (***) are in use.
Please try again later.'

Anonymous said...

Anonymous - Xiri..