3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

4.26.2006

#98 - Dirty Little Secret

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: Have A Nice Day (Bonus Track)
Other Versions: None
Era: Current "power pop rock"

Lyrics

I knew right away I'd like this one. The little vocal lead-in, and then "I light a candle/in the garden of love/to blind the angels/looking down from above". That's some frigging awesome songwriting.

I like songs about cheating that aren't from the point of view of the person being cheated on, so this had an in right from the get-go. It's cool to look at stuff from the other perspective. Shades of grey and motivations and intentions and all that. Excellent from a writing perspective and an active listening/social understanding perspective. Yummy.

This is such an awesome crunchy-ish rock song. It's SO Jovi - it's got an edge, but it's by no means too hard for mass consumption. The drumming is AWESOME, pay close attention next time you listen to it. The guitar takes center stage (as per usual) but it's the drumming that's best here.

I LOVE the "I wanna COME INSIIIIIDE" and "I wanna FEEEL ALIIIIIIVE" parts. Sing-along heaven.

This should most definitely have gone on the album in place of "I Want to Be Loved". Like I've mentioned before, this taken with "Last Cig", "Novocaine", and "These Open Arms" make a very cool cohesive little storyline. I wish someone had seen that.

My Rating: 9/10

No vote for tomorrow.

And I have to say something, because it's driving me insane.

Richie, Richie, Richie, what's going on, buddy? I know times haven't been so great for your personal life, but come on sweetie. You're prancing around for the tabloids with a woman so closely linked to you it's just this side of incest. You're not taking care of yourself, you look significantly un-substance-free, I'm worried about you. You and I both know Jon'll put up with this for you, because you're Richie and everyone knows it wouldn't be the same without you. So maybe you feel like you can let yourself slide a little. And I get that, I do. But come on, you're better than turning into the stereotype of the fat drunken washed-up rocker. And your fans (of which there are many, in the more devoted circles of Bon Jovi fans you might be more popular than Jon, even) deserve better. So come on, sweetie. Show a little more class, get yourself cleaned up a bit, do it for us and for you and so I can stop worrying about you. And for the love of God, start running your hat choices by someone with some taste, okay?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good comment, Harlem-rain! I would totalyl agreee with you, he sure looks .. well, worse than in Bounce for example. That torso weight does not really add up to him (what about beard - ones from OneWildNight might already know my opinion about that) - but it is Richie still. And damn, he can rock with his guitar and talkbox..
But we should hope. For him losing few pounds and finally releasing new album which had been in rumours for ages!

Hector Rashbaum said...

No vote means I know what song I'm doing. There WILL be an entry.

And for the hat thing - don't make me dig out photographic evidence. The black cowboy hat, maybe one or two others are ok.