3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

4.03.2006

#79 - Heroes

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: N/A
Other Versions: Original is by David Bowie, snippets are included in Moulin Rouge's "Elephant Love Medley"Era: N/A

Lyrics

First time I heard this, I was in one of the school's computer labs. I reflexively shouted "OH MY GOD MOULIN ROUGE" and then realized I was in public, slapped my hand over my mouth, and probably blushed hardcore. Those might have been the funniest looks I've ever gotten.

I'm not hugely familiar with the Bowie version, so I can't really compare. I'm not sure, despite the song in common, I could compare Jon to David anyway. Jon likes this song. You can tell in the way he sings it, the way he introduces it. The way he's using his voice, it's almost like the song is an egg and he's scared of breaking it. It's an interesting approach, I like it.

Where Jon is scared of breaking the egg, Richie's tossing it against the wall, throwing it around in the air, just generally kicking his ass. I pay attention to the guitar in this version more than anything - you know me, and you know that's rare. And his backing vocals are excellent (as usual). He doesn't necessarily sound more passionate than Jon, but it's passion in a different way, and they mesh quite nicely.

David's piano playing is lovely. Just lovely. Like I said, I pay most attention to the guitar in this one, but every now and then that low piano in the background seeps into my consciousness and reminds me just how good David is at making a composition richer. Even another artist's composition.

My Rating: 9/10

David solo instrumental for tomorrow. And if you don't really know the songs, feel totally free to pick which name you like better:
  • I Can Love
  • Midnight Voodoo
And for the commenters in the last post who expressed interest in reading the piece I am going to have published, I'm going to first remind you what I write is slash, meaning I write as if the members of Bon Jovi were/are in homosexual relationships with each other. And there is graphic sex in some of them, there's graphic sex in the one I've got published. So if the idea of that bothers you, please, for the sake of my sanity, don't go read the stories. Especially don't go read them and then ask me what the Hell is wrong with me, or call me sick or whatever. Think it, if you want. Ask me why in the world I would want to pretend men I so obviously lust after are gay, I'll be glad to explain myself. But don't insult me. Not that I think anyone who's reading this is small-minded or mean enough to do that, I just get a pinch paranoid.

All my stories and future stories are and will be here.

"Stand Up", the published story, is here. And since you guys are Bon Jovi fans, just chalk any time frame or continuity errors up to artistic license.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh yay for slash. now i really mean what i said earlier, not enough bon jovi slash in the world!

i agree, midnight voodoo sounds, interesting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the slash link, another bookmark just added! It slightly rings a bell with Cassie fiction for me..
Midnight Voodoo - well, I am fond of Midnight.