3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

4.18.2006

#90 - Undiscovered Soul

Artist: Richie Sambora
Album: Undiscovered Soul
Other Versions: None
Era: N/A

Lyrics

Stranger in This Town is a better album than Undiscovered Soul, but "Undiscovered Soul" is a better song. I like "Stranger", but this is...I love it.

This is an awesome, awesome song to listen to on a Greyhound heading to school from home. Actually, Richie has a lot of good Greyhound songs. "Mr. Bluesman" is way more poetic on a bus at like one am than any other time. But I digress.

I like Richie's voice here. I'm not sure why, it just has this quality to it that fits very well. It's a bit rougher than usual, there's an edge that isn't always there. And it's very powerful at the chorus.

As usual, Richie's work is so poetic the lyrics can almost stand on their own without any music. Lines I like:
Every day he tears down the reflection
Of who he used to be
And with a little luck
He'll rise eventually
In search of our salvation
Relentlessly we climb
Just looking for a reason
In creation's grand design
If patience is a virtue
Then let us humbly begin
We'll be here waiting
'Til our ship comes sailing in.

And I like the chorus. It's fun to sing and it's meaningful. Like most of Richie's work, really.

My Rating: 9/10

Something fun from the 90s:
  • Something for the Pain
  • Blame it on the Love of Rock'n'Roll

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Something For the Pain.