3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

4.26.2006

#97 - Maybe Someday

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong (Disc 2)
Other Versions: None
Era: No bloody idea

Lyrics

"Now I don't know how a heart beats, but I sure know how one breaks. Remember how I used to hold you, to share every breath that you'd take? Oh how can I forget, you're every tear that I cry. I know you're coming back, you never kissed me goodbye."

I'm not sure I need to say anything else. That's beautiful. It perfectly toes the line of too cheesy, too whiny, too emo. It's full of emotion and longing and heartbreak but it's so simple that it's not TOO anything. Lyrically, this is absolutely gorgeous.

And musically, it matches. They could so easily have overdone it, pushed those lyrics over that edge they're toeing. I like Tico's work here very, very much - the brushes on the drums, the cymbals, the "musical sparkles"(with the bells...you know how sometimes you can just see glitter falling down from god knows where? Musical sparkles), perfect. And it's real piano, GORGEOUS real piano. This is a song I'd like to hear just the piano for, all by itself (wouldn't it be cool if David released a cd of all Bon Jovi songs? Some just piano, some "In These Arms" style reinterpreted piano ballads. I would die of happy). And it's all acoustic guitar, until the solo, which is quiet and subdued but it's electric. I love it. Love it all.

Somehow, this manages to be both hopeful and cripplingly depressing at the same time. Jon's singing "maybe someday" but I don't think he believes it. I think he KNOWS it's over, but he needs to say "maybe someday" to keep himself from totally losing it. Not that he doesn't sound convinced, it's just...there's this little edge there. She's not coming back, he knows it and makes us know it even while trying to convince us and himself otherwise.

Tip: Do NOT listen to this in between "Kidnap an Angel" and "Only in My Dreams" unless you want to cry for about a year. I mean that. Bad, bad, bad combo.

My Rating: 9/10

Hey, cool idea - let's celebrate WSYCGH going #1 by, uh, not writing about it. But here's some stuff from the same cd:
  • Story of My Life
  • Dirty Little Secret

8 comments:

Hector Rashbaum said...

OH MY GOD WHERE DID YOU HEAR IT I NEED TO HEAR IT OH MY GOD.

Ahem.

Sounds interesting.

Hector Rashbaum said...

That's amazing. My new mission in life is to hear Alec sing.

Anonymous said...

DLS!

Anonymous said...

Hrr, I am only to vote for Story Of My Life... hrr...

Anonymous said...

Dirty Little Secret is the best song on the album!that's my vote!

Hector Rashbaum said...

"probably not even worth it"?

You are vastly underestimating my love of giggling at Alec

Anonymous said...

Story of my Life

Anonymous said...

Easily one of the best songs off the boxset.

Story of My Life.