3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

4.06.2006

#82 - I Want You

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: Keep the Faith
Other Versions: None
Era: 90's "moody rock"

Lyrics

Jon Bon Jovi, despite the fact that he's thisclose to being my least favorite member of the band and isn't my favorite singer or songwriter, is the idol to the writer in me. This guy can write heartbreak like nobody's goddamn business, and he's had a fairly uneventful (marrying the high school sweethear? COME ON) love life (well based on what's public, anyway). It's amazing, it's impressive, I want to be like that. This is a song that should have been written by some bitter individual, all alone in a big house, smoking and drinking and waiting because ANY MINUTE NOW they'll come back through that door.

I like the way the very very beginning is just drums, it's like Tico's all "you bitches are in for some hardcore shit" and then BAM there's everything else and it's like "OH MY GOD IT'S A POWER BALLAD TICO WAS RIGHT".

(Maybe that's just me)

The drumming in this whole thing is some of my favorite. It isn't hugely innovative, but it's steady (without being confining) and it's powerful (without overpowering). Good playing doesn't mean showing off and going omg bananas, it means fitting any given song perfectly. Tico does that here. Oh, but when it's "never made our house a hoooooooome" and he does go berserk it's AWESOME.

I love the way Jon sings it. He's almost shouting, he's so intense. I like the guitar solo - it's a teeny bit generic, but it's got feeling. This whole song is ust emotional. Well done, well done.

Sometimes I like this better than Bed of Roses, sometimes I don't. Depends on my mood. I always like it better than a good chunk of the other ballads.

My Rating: 8/10

OH BOY early Bon Jovi:
  • Price of Love
  • Breakout

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mm, Price of Love?..