3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

4.22.2006

#94 - Homebound Train

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: New Jersey
Other Versions: None
Era: Late 80s "hair metal"

Lyrics

Vendromeda: what song?
BigDaddyPompous: hoebound train
Vendromeda: ah
BigDaddyPompous: er, hoMebound
Vendromeda: hahahaha
BigDaddyPompous: going down down down dow-own on that hoebound train sounds a lot more fun
Vendromeda: ah them sexual bastards

Yep.

Don't like this one. Didn't like it at first, hasn't grown on me even a little. I'm not sure there's a tangible reason why, it just doesn't hit me at all.

It does have some good points. I like about 2:10 in, when the harmonica and the piano are kind of fighting the solo out and then OH NO HERE'S RICHIE TO SHOW Y'ALL HOW IT'S DONE. Bitches. And the whole time Tico's in the background all "y'all are nothing without me, fuckers. Go on and take your empty glory, I'm gonna kick this drum set's ass." And at 3:10 it's drum and bass and Alec's all "Sirs, would you mind if I had a turn?" and the rest of them (except Tico who does not get tired) are too wiped to argue with him. But Richie still noodles around in the background 'cause you can't let Alec have TOO much. That's a Hell of a run. Every single member of the band got a chance to rock out in one solo, one LONG solo. Every album of theirs should have something like that.

And I do get a giggle out of Jon's "WHOO WHOO" which could be a "whoa whoa" but it's a song about trains so I think he was legit trying to make train noises.

I think my problem with this is it just doesn't sound like a Bon Jovi song to me. It doesn't have that issue of trying too hard to be something else. What it kind of reminds me of is something like "Temptation" that isn't like anything else they've done but it doesn't come across as a serious effort to be NotBonJovi. But like Temptation, I think this would go better as a b-side rather than on the album. It just doesn't mesh with the rest of New Jersey for me, it sounds too out of place. I almost get the feeling that this was something they wrote without an album in mind, and liked it so much they tacked it on.

My Rating: 3/10

I've always heard that his herb was top shelf, I just could not wait to try it for myself. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it - well, I tried it my friend, and I'll never smoke weed with Willie again.
  • Suspicious Minds
  • Always on My Mind

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Always On My Mind, and not just because of Always.