3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

4.27.2006

#99 - 99 in the Shade

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: New Jersey
Other Versions: None
Era: Late 80s "hair metal"

Lyrics

If doing this as song 99 makes even one of you cringe, I've done my job. I almost didn't think of doing it this way - I only made the connection when I was scrolling through my list of songs to pick what you would vote for when I did yesterday's entry and saw the "99" and went "oh, that's bad. I'll do it."

Sweet sassy molassy this song is fun. I love the "ahh ahh ahh" intro - it's so cheesy beach movie song (speaking of, y'all should check out "Back to the Beach" with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello). Which is fitting, considering it's a song about partying at the Jersey shore.

I didn't like this at first, but it definitely grew on me. It's such a good fast cheesy rocking song. I listen to it when I'm getting ready to party, even when I'm in Rhode Island, not Jersey, and it's February and no way am I going to any shore. It gets you nice and revved up, it's so high-energy. Like, high-energy to the point where it's obnoxious when I'm tired.

The guitar in this is awesome, the little periodic da-wee-uh wee-uh that's so high. I love the way Jon sings the "just to tell every girl - hey baby, you're the o-o-one." The drumming is fast and awesome and rocking and the keyboard is subtle but it does its job so well.

This isn't a hugely original innovative masterpiece, but it's an awesomely fun cheery party rock song. It's so Jovi, even referencing Tommy and Gina. I love it.

And it's nice to know Jon's been drinking margaritas since at least 1986. I wonder if he's been doing the drunken blowjob thing for that long?

My Rating: 8/10

No vote for tomorrow, either. And no, it won't be what you think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We don't know, do we Heidizzle? Hint please! BJ comment again, ahem..

Anonymous said...

I kind of like this song ... it's one of those you have to be in the mood for. Most of the time I'm not in the mood for the highly optimistic Jovi songs of the 80s.