3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

4.07.2006

#83 - The Price of Love

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: 7800 Fahrenheit
Other Versions: None
Era: Early 80s "synth rock"

Lyrics

Disregarding "Only Lonely" (because I love it so much that including it would be unfair to everything else on the album), "Price of Love" is easily my favorite from 7800. Normally, I'll put the song I'm writing about on repeat and as soon as it starts, start writing. I couldn't do that with this one, I had to listen to it to get the dancing and karaoke-ing and shit out of my system. I'm halfway through the second listen right now.

7800 is the last Bon Jovi album I got. And I really don't like "In and Out of Love", so I wasn't really too excited for it. I figured it'd be a mediocre version of the debut album. But I like this one much better than the s/t, and it was this song that made me go "oh never mind, this'll be good".

(I can't stop dancing to this. It might be a disorder of some kind)

This drum intro kicks the drum intro to "I Want You" right out of the picture as far as awesome drum intros. Where that was "you bitches are in for some hardcore shit", this is "HOLY SWEET FUCK YOU'D BEST BE PREPARED TO GET YOUR ASSES ROCKED RIGHT THE FUCK OFF HOMIES". And then the guitar kicks in and it's like "oh no my ass is being rocked right the fuck off! WHY DID I NOT HEED TICO'S WARNING?"

Oh God, this guitar. If the "Bad Medicine" video is what makes me not mind looking at Richie, and "Harlem Rain" is what makes me adore him as a writer, this is what makes me be all "okay so MAYBE Richie rocks hardcore SOMETIMES." Which is the best you're gonna get from me, so enjoy. But seriously, in the intro, that daneener nee danee na nee danee na daneener nee danee na nee danee na nyoooo nyooo noo noo is just so awesome I can't even describe it. And this is easily my favorite Richie solo. Not the most epic or the most technically proficient but godDAMMIT it rocks SO HARD and it fits the song PERFECTLY.

This song is so...righteous. Jon sings it like it is some important manifesto on the state of things in the world today, like he has the key to ending world peace and famine and every disease ever (except that one that makes me uncontrollably dance to this mofo). And the backing vocals, I LOVE. So so so cheesy but done so seriously. The "ah-ahh"s are my favorite backing vocals in the history of backing vocals. And I love how it's just keyboard behind the beginning of the first verse, adding it this very seriously epic tone that just makes me laugh because for the love of God it's just a "love is hard" song. Seriously, boys.

I mentioned the drumming in the intro, but I'd also like to mention it gets no less awesome as the song goes on. Tico is hitting so hard I get this image of them recording it and every single time he hits one of his sticks breaks and he has to stop to get a new one and it took them like eight hours to do the song because they had to keep stopping. I know that didn't happen, but it amuses me to think of it that way. Seriously, he is kicking ass. I wouldn't start a fight with Tico based entirely on this song, because I know he could bash my head in. The drums are the reason I am physically unable to listen to this song without rocking out.

The lyrics match the vocals so well. Cheesy, ridiculously so, but dammit they are DEFINITELY cheesy and don't even go messing with them. Favorite lines: "one last dance, then goodbye" "you live your life to take that chance/when you're a master of the art of romance" and "alone, our lonely hearts would die". And sweet Jesus do I love singing this one, ESPECIALLY the chorus. This song gets me hella pumped but I couldn't put it on my "for the gym" playlist because I sing and dance and didn't want to look like a goon.

Another one I'd kill to see live. Literally. Jon, you got someone hasslin' you, call me and I WILL SET IT UP and the only cost to you will be "The Price of Love"

(SEE WHAT I DID THERE?)

My Rating: 10/10

For tomorrow, there's no real rhyme or reason:
  • Undivided
  • I'd Die For You
And here's something I've been thinking about all day. If Bon Jovi were to release a dvd of their music videos, do you think they would or would not include the videos from Bon Jovi and 7800?

They should, by all rights. Unless it's a "best of the Bon Jovi videos" in which case what's "best" is really up to them. But I'd feel kind of ripped off with a "best of" when they could easily fit every one of their videos on a dvd. Thing is, knowing how much they like to bash the earlier albums and the earlier videos, would they do the "well I'm not proud of these but they're a part of our history" thing and include them, or the "1983-1985 NEVER HAPPENED I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT" thing and just leave them off? And would they include solo videos? Would they include just Jon's and not Richie's, the way "Blaze of Glory" was on Crossroad?

Not that I have any idea how likely it is they would ever release a music video dvd. Just something I've been thinking about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I'm off to buy 7800 because you make it sound so damn good, even though most people hate it almost as much as TLFR.

The thing about the videos ... Jon has said torture would be watching their first 5 videos. By my count that's: She Don't Know Me, Runaway, In and Out of Love, Silent Night, and Only Lonely. Sounds like they could possibly leave them off just by the way that Jon talks about them. Then again - both Runaway and In and Out of Love were included on Crossroads. Shame if that happened though; those first five videos are GOLD.

My vote is for I'd Die for You.

Anonymous said...

Undivided!

Anonymous said...

I'd Die For You, I do not really know why - but it sounds like sort of BTBMB and Runaway mix.. Maybe that's just because I had a recent crush attack.. *blush* oh my, that is not serious, I am blasting - like after having a heart attack, oh my. Someone slap me for this comment!
Ok, I am trying to get serious. I'd Die For You, because of the rhyme and the tune - it goes, like.. I do not know. Both drums and guitar go along to each other. And Jon's voice is irresistably low. Melting..

Anonymous said...

Another vote for Undivided. Good review on Price of Love.