3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

4.05.2006

#81 - Have A Nice Day

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: Have A Nice Day
Other Versions: demo with different lyrics, live w/ Sugarland from CMT Crossroads
Era: Current "power pop rock"

Lyrics
Video

Alright, one of the requests for this got really specific, so I'm gonna try to cover that stuff first.

"Comment on the demo-version(s) floating around..."

I love the original chorus. Love, love, love. I think the demo version with the original lyrics comes across as a bit heavier, which I don't love, although I do appreciate their attempts to move away from the pop end of the spectrum. The original lyrics are less egocentric - "if there's one thing I could give you" - and I like it. I like the way that "this is to help you" theme fits in with Novocaine about David's divorce and "These Open Arms" about watching someone suffer. I know "These Open Arms" was a bonus track, but still the three fit together into a nice trio. But that also kind of cheesyifies it, and not really in the good way. So I'm conflicted.

I'm glad they changed the very beginning of the second verse, because it flows better in the officially released version. But I like the second part of the second verse better in the demo version, I like that repetition of the "WHO are you to tell me"s. And I like "looking for forgiveness down on his kneeeees".

The guitar solo is way better in the released version. But I like the quiet "oh if there's one thing I could give you..." part, and wish that had stayed in the song.

"what your ultimate version would be..."

Same first verse, since that never changed. Original chorus. Released version's first two lines of the second verse, original's rest of the first verse. Released version's guitar solo, original version's quiet "oh, if there's one thing I could give you...". Released version's ending. Overall feel of the released version.

Oh, and they recorded it naked. Not that we could HEAR that, but just knowing it would be awesome.

"...and how you deal with the lack of prominent keyboards"

Ooh, this is an interesting question, and one I don't think I would have addressed otherwise.

One of the things I like about Bon Jovi is, while I love the sweet Hell out of David (as y'all know) and love what his keyboard/piano/organ/whatever the Hell else he feels like doing with his fingers adds to their music (interestingish tidbit: there was a topic over at Metal Sludge about "Why don't you like Bon Jovi?" and several people said they prefer their rock without heavy keyboards), when they don't have prominent keyboard it's because the song doesn't need it.

They understand music and how to get across an exact feeling, and as a writer I will ALWAYS be jealous of how well they manipulate their audience. When a song doesn't have really obvious keyboards, it's because obvious keyboards didn't add anything to the feeling they wanted to get across. I think some keyboard work would add to the chorus, but it doesn't feel lacking without it. There are BJ songs I listen to and go "hm, something's missing", and I don't do that with this one.

But I think it'd be interesting to see them do something with this like they did with "It's My Life" on TLFR, where they slowed it down and the piano was the focal point of the instruments. I don't know that this would work like that, but I'd like to hear the attempt. I think "if there's one thing I hang on to" would turn into a very haunting line slowed down like that.

I think, actually, going through those questions I covered almost everything I wanted to except:

- the guitar in the verses kind of makes me die of joy. It's soooo cool.

- the drumming, as usual, is superb

- I love the video. I bought a hat that looks like the one Richie's wearing in some parts (I call it "Sambora" so when I lose it I can start hollering about "where the Hell is my Sambora?"). But sweet holy Hell I can't stop giggling during the part where Jon is dry humping Richie. If you don't know what part I'm talking about, watch the video and you'll know when you get there. The first time my sister saw this video she was all "oh my God is Jon humping Tico?" (she can't tell Richie and Tico apart for some reason. Probably because she doesn't care) and I had to say "that's Richie, but yes, that is some man-humping action happening there."

I like this better than "It's My Life", although I don't think it could have done for them what "It's My Life" did. I think it's a little better lyrically and musically. A little less catchy - only a little - but a little better. I didn't love it at first, but it grew on me, and I don't think I'd have taken a different song as a leadoff single.

My Rating: 9/10

Faith! You know you're gonna live through the rain. Lord, we gotta keep the faith.
  • I Want You
  • Dry County
and I'd like to point out that I'm reserving the right to veto Dry County if it wins and I'm not in the mood for it tomorrow night. That song deserves one Hell of a post and if I'm not up to it I'm not gonna shortchange it. Don't let that discourage you from voting for it, because I will probably be in the mood, it's just a heads-up

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Want You, even though I am not decided.
So that's they call 'dry-humping' - thanks for clearing this out, one of of my most favorite moments in the video.

Anonymous said...

I can't choose... I mean I'd normally be Dry County without thinking twice because it is one of the best songs possibly ever but I really have been listening to I Want You a lot lately. So we'll go with I Want You i suppose.

Anonymous said...

Ooh I love both of them, but since you're vetoing Dry County, even if it wins, I'm going to vote for I Want You

Hector Rashbaum said...

I didn't say I was DEFINITELY vetoing it, I said I MIGHT.

Anonymous said...

Mhmmm - HAND is a more rock song than IML. I'll give you that. My vote goes for Dry County.