3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

4.20.2006

#92 - Real Life

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong (Disc 3)
Other Versions: Original included on the EDTV soundtrack
Era: Early 00s "hard pop", sound-wise

Lyrics
Video

I didn't like this one at first. I don't remember why, I just remember for a long time I couldn't stand it. This was back when the box set was the only Jovi I had, and eventually I overplayed it and didn't listen to anything from the box set for a while. When I went back to it, I almost skipped over this one because I remembered not liking it. I'm glad I didn't.

This is Hella-cheesy, but so was EDTV. The lyrics are cheesy, the music is cheesy, the whole idea is cheesy. But wrapped up in the cheese is some good songwriting, some excellent playing, and a totaly universal idea (summed up in the first line "I wish that life was like it is in the movies, 'cause the hero always gets his way" - who hasn't felt like that?).

There are some real lyrical gems here. "And no one wrote me new lines for what I said wrong, and what I did wrong I could not erase". Everyone has something they wish had worked out like that, like they'd known exactly what to do, or like they could just tape over that one thing they're not too proud of. "Why can't it be like it is on tv, when the orchestra plays and you come back to me?" That's tangible longing right there, and it's gorgeous. Actually, the entire second verse is really excellent.

I love how lush the instrumentation is. It's thick and you can just wrap yourself up in this pain and longing and regret and just fucking wallow in it. I love the guitar work, because if you listen to it Richie is just kind of going off on these little musical tangents and even though they're meandering, they fit. I love it (what the fuck, is this be nice to Richie week?).

The video has sent me on a mission to find me a cardboard David Bryan. I'd like a Tico too, but I'd be fine with him delivering it. Since he carries it around. Weirdo.

My Rating: 9/10

For tomorrow, mmmm random:
  • Postcards from the Wasteland
  • Without Love
And in honor of this very special day (that I don't celebrate at all, but eh) (4/20 is basically "hooray pot day", for people who don't know), here's Jon and Richie pretending to get high:

My favorite part is the part about the cactus

I was gonna say "in honor of Hitler's birthday, here's David doing the Chanukah Song" but that's just kind of mean.

Edited 4/23/06: Added video

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg ysi is hating me tonight :|

you gotta do Postcards. You gotta.

Anonymous said...

Two songs I love, why? Postcards...

Anonymous said...

Since I've never heard the other one... my vote goes for Without Love