3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

3.31.2006

#76 - Every Beat of My Heart

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong (Disc 2)
Other Versions: None
Era: Uh...no idea.

Lyrics

By all rights, I should like this song. It's a sweet ballad and it's nice and sappy and it's well played. But it's another big "eh" for me. I kind of like it when I remember it exists, that's the best I can say.

For once, I hate the way Jon and Richie's voices sound together. Richie has much more passion, and it makes everything Jon sings sound like he's not into it. There are parts where Jon sounds downright bored, parts where he sounds less bored, and one or two chunks where he sounds into it. Richie is, once again, pouring his soul into a song. It makes Jon sound bad.

Musically, this is kind of boring. I mean, it's nice as ballads go. But nice is the best I can say, and that's not good enough. I like the higher pitched guitar, and that's it. The drumming is too quiet and confined, there's no passion coming from it. There's nothing worthwhile happening with the keyboard, and the acoustic guitar doesn't add much. It's not bad, but it's certainly not good.

Lyrically, I like it. Cheesy and sappy? Yes. Good? Yes. I like "if I don't say I love you, everything else is a waste of my breath" especially. I could see this, with different instrumentation, working very well as a Richie solo song.

My Rating: 4/10

Speaking of Richie solo songs:
  • Harlem Rain
  • One Light Burning

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally love the lyrics. Really heart wrenching. My vote goes for Harlem Rain.

Anonymous said...

Hmm lets go with 'Harlem Rain'

Anonymous said...

One Light Burning - god, if you exist... make this happen! *prays*