3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

3.29.2006

#74 - Save the World

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: Crush
Other Versions: None
Era: early 00s "hard pop"

Lyrics

Eh. This doesn't do anything for me, for the most part. Normally I'm a sucker for a ballad, but...eh.

A big part of the problem is the way Jon sings the verses. He seems kind of out of it and draggy, and it's hard to get into it when it doesn't feel like he's into it. Jon not being into it is unusual, so I assume he was going for a different effect. Maybe other people get it. I don't.

I don't like the guitar solo, either. The guitar takes on the same whiny quality Jon's voice has and it just kind of irritates me. For the most part, the instrumentation in this is weak. It has this epic feel to it that matches the idea of saving the world, but it just isn't a particularly strong composition.

Things I like:

"It comes down to this/I wouldn't exist/Without you, it ain't worth the grind" and "I'd fly all the way to the moon/just to walk you down your street". Lyrically, really nice. But I don't like Jon's voice here and it takes a lot away from how nice those lines are.

This song doesn't commit any major offenses. And when you take Crush as a whole, it works better (since its only real sappy-ballad competition are the "mystery" songs). It just isn't strong, and it isn't really representative of what they can do.

My Rating: 4/10

For tomorrow, something from the self-titled debut album:
  • Roulette
  • Shot Through the Heart
  • Breakout
  • Come Back

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I mostly agree. It doesn't do much for me either, but it is a nice change in the album. Not that Neurotica would have done better, hahaha. *sarcasm meter ^* I vote Shot Through the Heart!! Most underrated song ever.

Anonymous said...

Maybe Roulette.

Anonymous said...

I vote Roulette. Third best song on the album next to Runaway and She Don't Know Me.

Anonymous said...

Shot Through the Heart!it's great