3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

3.19.2006

#65 - Why Aren't You Dead?

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong (Disc 1)
Other Versions: None (I wanna say this was released as a b-side to something but I'm not totally sure)
Era: Sounds very KTF/TD-ish (I believe it was indeed written for KTF)

Lyrics
This is an excellent opener for the box set. The box set has songs that don't sound typical, that don't sound well-produced, that aren't sung by Jon. So it's a nice easing into the differences, this song that is very Bon Jovi.

I like the roughness of the guitar. It makes the whole song very gritty, really underscoring the attitude of the lyrics. The keyboard is really subtle here, but I like what it adds. It smoothes over the guitar a bit, and makes the whole composition a little richer. I don't always notice it, but I'd notice if it weren't there.

I love the sweet Hell out of these lyrics. I love the concept, I love the way it's written, I love the way it's sung. I particularly like "well there's been a resurrection, yeah/a miracle cure" and "saw two shadows go to town on the shade". And "I can't believe my own lying eyes/oh my!" makes me giggle, because I have this image of Jon standing outside a hotel, hands up to his cheeks Home-Alone style going "oh my!". Because I'm a dork like that.

This is fun and tongue-in-cheek and, dare I say, rollicking (that's a word that doesn't get used enough). Probably the most fun "end of a relationship" song I've heard, and definitely one of my favorites.

My Rating: 8/10

These Days vote:
  • Hey God
  • These Days
  • Damned
  • Hearts Breaking Even

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, that's funny, I had the same image of Jon going "Oh my!".
BTW, from the info I have, it was for "These Days" and never a b-side...
I vote HEY GOD

Anonymous said...

this song is my favorite of the little i have of the box set songs. i love jon's voice in it so much.

my vote is for Hey God.

Anonymous said...

This song was for KTF, not TD. I'll vote for These Days.

Anonymous said...

Damned.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure? I know I'm not completely sure, but I've always seen it listed as an outtake from TD

Anonymous said...

I'll vote These Days.