3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

3.17.2006

#63 - Tumblin' Dice

Artist: David Bryan
Album: Dry County says it's on the These Days bonus cd, so we'll go with that
Other Versions: the original is by the Rolling Stones, if there are other covers I'm unaware
Era: N/A

Lyrics

After only hearing "Memphis Lives in Me" and "In These Arms", my official ruling on David's voice was "it's really, really pretty, but I don't think he could be a rock singer."

I am pretty sure he read my mind and was like "oh Hells no, allow me to prove you wrong," because this song rocks SO HARD.

David is just so crazy into it. These are some crazy ridiculous lyrics (women think I'm tasty/but they're always trying to waste me? seriously, now) and he just fucking nails them. I don't even listen to the original version of this anymore, and I knew that one first.

I am incapable of listening to this without singing along to it (my roommates are telling me to shut up right now because they aren't aware this is an impossibility). I love that it gives me this image of David in one of the ridiculous box set gold outfits, just rocking his ass all over the stage. I know he isn't doing that, because I assume he's playing the piano (and playing it awesomely, as usual) but I can't shake the "David as quintissential rock star" image. He could be a frontman, he totally could.

His voice is so goddamned smooth I just want to scream. He doesn't get husky or scratchy or gravelly the way both Jon and Richie do, and I wish they'd take advantage of that contrast more. Richie's voice is smoother than Jon's, but he does get gravelly occasionally. Not that gravelly's bad - Hell, Tico's voice sounds like he's gargling rocks and I love the holy Hell out of it - but I think the contrast between Jon when he's really husky and David would make for some interesting work. Someone get me Jon on the phone so I can suggest it to him.

This gets stuck in my head for years and I don't care because honestly there is very little I enjoy more than walking down Weybosset Street here and singing "baby, baby, I don't need no jewels in my crown". I want to marry this song. Well, not marry it because if this song were a guy it would be a terrible husband. I want to mess around with it for a while until my biological clock hits and I kick it to the curb for something more stable and permanent.

My Rating: 10/10

Tomorrow's vote is songs from Slippery and New Jersey:
  • Raise Your Hands
  • Without Love
  • Blood on Blood
  • Wild is the Wind
Sorry this didn't go up earlier, Blogger went bananas last night and didn't fix itself until a little while ago.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

David's voice sounds a lot like (but not exact) Elton John to me. And my vote is for Wild is the Wind - fell in love with it in Toronto.

Hector Rashbaum said...

he does sound like Elton John

there were times when I'd be listening to the box set on shuffle, stop paying attention, and then get sucked back in when I heard Elton John singing and couldn't figure out why

Anonymous said...

You really make me want to listen to David sing, something I haven't done yet. I shall soon once limewire stops hatin' me.

These polls are getting so hard. I'm gonna go with Wild is the Wind as well.

Hector Rashbaum said...

I think my e-mail's in my blogger profile, hit me up and I'll be more than happy to share

limewire...I love it sometimes, but trying to fnd David stuff on there is a miserable aggravating experience

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I do love David's voice. When I first got the Box Set, for both "Memphis Lives In Me" and "If I Can't Have Your Love" - WWTF?!?!?! was my reaction...this isn't Bon Jovi, haha, you can imagine what my reaction to Tico's voice was...he has my second favorite voice in the band, I really wish there were more vocals out there by him!

Anyways, I vote for WITW!

Hector Rashbaum said...

"he has my second favorite voice in the band, I really wish there were more vocals out there by him!"

well now I'm your friend for life

I consider the fact that there are only four Tico vocal tracks I've been able t find probably the biggest injustice of all time

that, or the holocaust. That was bad too.

Anonymous said...

LOL, sorry, I jumped from one thing to the next there. I meant David has my second favorite voice in the band. Even though I do appreciate Tico's alot more than I did a few years back, I still prefer Jon's voice over his...hehe, sorry...

Anonymous said...

Damn. All the song you have listed I am meant to love! It is so hard... Going for Wild Is The Wind, though.