3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

3.21.2006

#67 - Right Side of Wrong

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: Bounce
Other Versions: None
Era: Early 00s "hard pop"

Lyrics

Very first time I heard this, I thought it was about a married man running away with his mistress. I wasn't paying much attention. Then I looked up the lyrics, and I was like "oh, it's a bank robbing song". A failed bank robbery. But at the moment I don't think it's about a bank robbery. Now I'm kind of leaning towards drug trafficking of some kind. Or a murder. No, not a murder, he just brought sweatsocks. Faux armed robbery? Really, I don't know. Interpret it for yourself (then tell me).

Musically, this might be my favorite song on Bounce. For most of it, it manages to be quiet and subdued and very simple. I love the piano, I think it sets the very serious tone excellently. Jon's voice is very matter-of-fact, low and simple. It meshes very well with the piano, and you know right away he's telling a very serious story.

I like how it rises with the music, how it gets more intense when the guitar comes in. Like in "Bed of Roses", Jon uses his voice as an instrument in and of itself. And when Richie comes in in the chorus, it's subtle, but it gives a little edge that adds a lot.

I like the instrumental break. It's epic and sweeping and the guitar is very striking. Poignant, really. And I like how angry and passionate he and Richie are when they sing the last chorus. Defiance, always nice.

I like how stream of consciousness this is. My favorite writing style is that very matter-of-fact "this is what is running through my head right now" writing, and that preference also translates to music. This is Jon just thinking, very simply and very straightforwardly about what he has to do.

I like the "we'll make the grade/they'll know our names" chunk of the song very much. The strings add this very epic feel that accompanies all the best outlaw scenes in westerns.

This is one of the best songs, musically, on Bounce, in my opinion. It's well constructed and it flows and it fits very well with the story. Whatever the story is.

My Rating: 10/10

Tomorrow, I'm gonna write about an unreleased song/rarity/b-side/whatever about sex. BUT WHICH ONE?
  • Do It To Ya
  • Gimme Some
  • Hush
  • Let's Make it Baby

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've really got an ear for the seperation of different instruments.

Anyway - my vote is for Let's Make It Baby. Really curious to see what you have to say about this. ;)

Anonymous said...

I always thought it was about a bank robbery aswell, but I've recently read comments that make me think otherwise. I vote "Let's Make It Baby".

Anonymous said...

Let's Make It Baby.

Nige said...

Just found your site, read every article, think I've lost my job because of this but regret nothing.

Great work - keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Really good job! congratulations
let's make it baby!