3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

3.09.2006

#56 - Let it Rock

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: Slippery When Wet
Other Versions: None, but I believe the organ intro is sometimes listed as "Pink Flamingos"
Era: Late 80s "hair metal"

Lyrics


The following make this song an instant hit with me:

1. Organ! Overblown, pretentious, abso-fucking-lutely awesome organ intro. David plays it at the very beginning of that keyboard video I have and it just makes me crazy to hear it. I love it, it's probably my favorite way to open an album ever.

2. Whoa oh oh. Whoa oh oh oh. I like everyone singing syllables. I like the whoa-oh in "Livin' on a Prayer" and I like the "oh oh oh" at the end of "This Ain't a Love Song" and I just plain really love stuff like that for no quantifiable reason.

3. I like the beat. I like that I could get nice and drunk and just dance like a stripper to this song. Because let's be honest, we all enjoy letting the inner stripper out every now and again (that doesn't apply to any dudes or nuns reading this). It isn't this crazy fast-paced beat, it's slow and it really really works.

4. The message is awesome. I love the "hey if it feels good do it" thing, especially since I had a bit too much last night and I like any song that justifies acting like there's no consequences. Now I know consequence-free partying just doesn't exist, but Hell if that's gonna stop me from rocking out to "it's alright/if you have a good time/it's alright/if you want to cross that line" once I've stopped being ashamed of acting like a drunken whore. Because when you're at that point it is alright. You only live once, and you won't regret it until tomorrow, so go for it. That is just such an awesome message. Impractical, maybe. But Hell, there's no room for practical in rock, baby.

My Rating: 10/10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So it was organ, not keyboard? Wow, I have been arguing over this subject ever since getting my own bootleg version. Amazing song, well - intro at least.