3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

3.28.2006

#73 - Damned

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: These Days
Other Versions: None
Era: 90s "moody rock"

Lyrics

First time I heard this song I was madly in love with this guy who was extremely taken. So I was all "whoo cheating!". I was definitely in the right mindset for a song from the point of view of the other man. Also, I love the idea of it being from the other man's point of view because it's so stereotypically men who cheat (although that stereotype is becoming less and less prominent). This is like "hey women like to sleep around too!" empowerment. Or something.

I love the feel of this song. It's this cool R&B thing and the instrumentation is kind of mellow but not overly so. It's like you can chill and bob your head to this and not get too riled up, but it isn't boring.

I like the maracas. Mostly because I like Tico playing maracas because maracas lend themselves to testicle jokes better than drums. Imagine the music I could make with Tico's maracas! See? Sorry. (I was playing with a slogan generator earlier and it said "Tico - you see this name, you think dirty." and it made me laugh because it was so accurate)

The guitar in this is really sweet. It's dirty gritty crunchy and it's a really good groove. I'm realy feeling it. And the trumpets and shit are awesome. Musically this is a crazy cool piece.

Jon sings this really awesomely sometimes and sometimes he kind of grates on my nerves. During the chorus his voice sounds like he's not quite using it exactly right. Like he's straining or he's hoarse or something. Whatever it is, it bugs me. Most of the song, though, I like the way he sings.

The "why won't you talk to me/'cause I'm too blind to see/why won't you look at me/'cause I'm afraid to breathe/what do you want from me/all that I can stand" part is kind of cheesy, but I'll forgive it for "the lies are on my tongue and I can't turn back I know that I'm damned" that comes right after. I really like "it's just the wind that's blowin' through the secrets that we keep" too.

My Rating: 8/10

Tomorrow's vote is a Crush/Bounce dealie
  • It's My Life
  • Save the World
  • Hook Me Up
  • Undivided

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Save the World. A little bit of a snooze - but one of those nice snoozes wher eyou feel all warm, fuzzy, and refreshed after.

Anonymous said...

Hook Me Up

Paul said...

Undivided if you please

The Walrus

Anonymous said...

It's My Life...

Anonymous said...

hook me up.

Anonymous said...

Save The World please. I don't know why I like it but it's a sort ultra-cheesy ballad that I have to hold a lighter up in the air and sway to.

Anonymous said...

undivided!