3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

1.28.2006

#36 - Neurotica

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: Crush (Bonus Track)
Other Versions: None
Era: early 00s "hard pop"

Lyrics

I usually wouldn't do two songs from the same era right next to each other, but I listened to this earlier and can't get it out of my head, so why fight it? Plus, it's proof that I'm not entirely negative when it comes to the Crush/Bounce era.

Right from the intro you know you're in for something good. It doesn't do the slow build I usually prefer, all the instruments are there at once, but it's crunchy and poundy and you just know you're going to be feeling this one.

Jon's voice in this song is excellent for the song. It's a bit nasal, but it's husky and fits right in with the crunching pounding sexiness of this song. This is a sexy sexy song, and Jon matches his voice perfectly to that tone set by the instruments. Without the vocals, this is a song you can fuck to - with them, it's about four and a half minutes of straight-on sex.

I like the lyrics to this one, although really they're secondary to the instrumentation and the vocal tone. The verses are short and choppy, but Jon drags out words for this contradiction that really works. The girl this song describes is hot, smoking, just amazingly fuckable, and you get that without a single word telling you what she actually looks like. Excellent writing.

"Neurotica" is pure lust in a nice little package. The beat throbs and the guitar is dirty and the vocals are just begging for sex. I can't even listen to this without dancing. If I were a stripper, I'd strip to this. It's just sex and lust and fucking in song form and it's good sex and lust and fucking. Amazing, amazing song. Shame it's just a bonus track.

My Rating: 9/10

Edited 3/25/06: Added lyrics

No comments: