3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

1.23.2006

#32 - Unbreakable

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: Have A Nice Day (Bonus Track)
Other Versions: None
Era: Current "power pop rock"

Lyrics

I remember reading David has a writing credit for this, but it hasn't been confirmed for me so I can't say for sure. It wouldn't surprise me, though. Throughout BJ history the songs David has contributed to have been fun and cheesy, and this certainly fits the bill.

This song makes me laugh, although I bet that's not the desired result. Lyrically, it might be the corniest song they've written since the first two albums. That's not a knock, remember I love corny. They wrote some cheesy stuff for Bounce and Crush, but nothing on those hit 'so bad it's good' levels of cheese. And These Days and KTF were almost completely devoid of cheese.

This is an ass-kicking song. A Bon Jovi ass-kicking song. The premise just entertains me so much. The chorus has cheesy rhyming, and probably my favorite cheesy lyric of all time is "News flash: I'm causing a commotion / Jump back - I'm poetry in motion / Think fast / Talk trash / Well I ain't talking back but I'm calling you out". So laughable, but so good.

The instrumentation in this song is just awesome. Crunchy and poundy and just delicious. I love the "bunk bunka bunk bunka bunka bunk bunk" in the background, and the guitar just makes me want to go "WHOO YEAH I AM SO BAD-ASS". Works well with the tone of the song. And the drumming...sweet Lord, the drumming in this one is amazing. Tico has always kind of looked like some kind of hardcore mafia bad-ass, and that totally comes across in the drumming for this song. Tico could kick your ass, don't even doubt it.

This is really fun to sing along to, the cheesiness factor always ups a sing-along. Sing it around your friends, do some corny "bring it" hand motions, instant party. It is impossible not to have fun when listening to this one. Watch out, though - the chorus goes "Unbreakable...unstoppable...I'm invincible". The two "un"s tend to make me say "uninvincible" which is not only not a word, but if it were a word it would mean exactly the opposite of what they want to say.

This might be my favorite song on HAND, definitely my favorite of the bonuses. I dare you to listen to this and
1. be in a bad mood
2. not get all fake-egotistic and want to challenge the world to a fight

My Rating: 10/10

Edited 3/25/06: Added lyrics

No comments: