3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

1.09.2006

#18 - Someday I'll be Saturday Night

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: Crossroad, 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't be Wrong (Demo), One Wild Night (Live)
Other Versions: None
Era: 90s "moody rock"

Lyrics

Sorry about the lack of update yesterday. No real excuse, just couldn't get into the right mindset for whatever reason.

Here's another with Bon Jovi's signature "times are hard, but if I hang on they'll get better" theme. I like this better in that regard than LOAP. I like the imagery - days have moods to them, that's pretty undeniable, and to put that in a song I think worked out excellently.

I always like a good story song, and this has three or four stories rolled up in it. That works really well with the video where all the stories interact. And I like how the lyrics work with the tempo - the verses are depressing, the chorus is unapologetically optimistic, and the tone of the instrumentation manages to match both quite well without seeming out of place or poorly put together.

One of my favorite aspects of this song is actually from the live version, I'm not sure if it's on One Wild Night or the Crush Tour dvd that I remember this from, but Jon goes through every day near the end and gives it a bit of meaning. Adds a bit more depth - not that the song is in any way lacking in depth, but in this case more is better.

This might be my favorite 90s song to sing along to, except maybe Always. This is more fun, though. I like it when they manage to be fun and meaningful at the same time - lately it seems like they can only handle one or the other.

My Rating: 9/10

Edited 3/25/06: Added lyrics

No comments: