3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

1.15.2006

#24 - Two Story Town

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: Crush
Other Versions: None
Era: early 00's "hard pop"

Lyrics

I like this song for a couple very simple reasons.

1. I know how he feels in this song more than probably any song they've ever sung. I'm from a really small town where there's not a lot to do, and I never bothered to get a driver's license so my options were even more limited. At the moment I live in Providence, where there's plenty to do, but I'm doing the whole broke-college-student thing, so I can't afford to do any of it. This is a song about boredom and confinement to a high degree, and I know those feelings well. The whole vibe of "Two Story Town" is suffocating, and it ties in so well with a life where you're not going anywhere beyond your house. "Seven days of Monday morning" - nothing to look forward to but dullness and not getting back to bed where you really want to be. It just fits. Every now and then you come across a song that is how you feel and where you are, and this is it for me right now.

2. "There's a girl that I sleep with / got ecstasy eyes". I can't explain the appeal this line has for me, but it's there. I love it. I wish I could explain it, because that would mean I know it. I can't, and don't, but it's by far my favorite line in the song and it's way up there with my all-time favorite BJ lyrics.

Musically, this is a pretty average song. Nothing stellar, nothing bad, wholly average. Really catchy, nicely upbeat. It matches the theme well for some reason, although I can't really explain why catchy upbeat-ness fits with dull "I'm dying of bored confinement"-ness, but it does. Chalk it up to Bon Jovi magic.

Right now I love this song, at a different point in my life I'd probably be fairly indifferent to it. It's the mood that gets me, because it matches me well. If it didn't, who knows?

My Rating: 7/10

Edited 3/25/06: Added lyrics

No comments: