3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

1.20.2006

#29 - Stick to Your Guns

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: New Jersey
Other Versions: None
Era: late 80s "hair metal"

Lyrics

Jon has a motherfucking set of pipes on him. Boy can belt shit hardcore.

This is one of the best examples of how powerful Jon's voice was at its peak. It says a lot about where he started from that his voice has deteriorated pretty significantly and he can still belt it out better than guys half his age.

I like this song as a song, but what always really stands out for me is just how intense his voice is. Even during the verses, which are more subdued, it's just amazing.

Another cowboy song (take a drink) - if you're keeping track, this is the last one chronologically. Well, the last one before the Blaze of Glory album, but that doesn't count. Or something.

I like the guitar work in this song. It's simplistic but powerful, especially the acoustic parts. And the keyboard is very subtle - mostly just a sweeping synth pad that kind of drifts around and intensifies the whole thing, and then the actual keyboard makes itself known during the chorus. The drum work is excellent, as usual - I'd probably rate Tico as the finest rock drummer of his generation, if not a more extensive period of time (eat it, Tommy Lee). In this song it's understated, not detracting from or taking the focus off of anything, but still keeping the mood of the song (you want evidence of what Tico can really do, listen to "Sleep When I'm Dead" and "Last Cigarette" - all I ever pay attention to in those songs is the drumming). The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the guitar solo. It almost feels forced, like someone said "well this is a cowboy epic, should we maybe throw a guitar solo in here? You know, just 'cause."

Lyrically, it's cheesy, but what else do you expect from a hair metal cowboy song? Cheese is par for the course, and no one does it better than Bon Jovi.

My Rating: 8/10

Edited 3/25/06: Added lyrics

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I post on the Dry County bored and saw your link to this. I read all of them. I like this, it's cool. Keep up the good work.