3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

1.21.2006

#30 - Temptation

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong (Disc 4)
Other Versions: Demo version was a B-Side for "It's My Life"
Era: Written for Crush

Lyrics

My computer doesn't want me to write this one, Firefox has crashed three times, and I haven't gotten farther than the era any time.

This is a song that I forget how much I love when I haven't listened to it for a while. I know I like it, and I know I fit it in with "Diamond Ring" as a "Bon Jovi song I love even though it doesn't sound like a Bon Jovi song", but I have to listen to it to really make myself realize how good it is.

For once, the guitar takes a backseat. Maybe that's why I like it - I've said before and I'll probably say it many times again that I'm not a big guitar person. I like the piano much more - whether that's because of my love for David or it's the other way around, I can't say. This song is almost exclusively organ and drums, with the guitar serving as an enhancement for those rather than the sole focus. It's an excellent enhancement, too.

This is such an ominous song. For a band who has always had such an undying optimism, and who have sung about lust and love often with a very glib, tongue-in-cheek view, it comes completely out of left field. There's no optimism here - he is actually dreading the prospect of sex with this particular woman. I assume this is about cheating, unless I'm overlooking some other scenario where getting seduced is such a dark thing. Plus I'm taking into consideration Jon's opinion on extramarital affairs ("The way I see it is we're only married within state lines. There's 49 other states, we can have 49 other relationships"), and his tendency to write songs that are close to home.

His voice is so low in this song, it's gorgeous. It blends so well with the organ to give the whole thing a very heavy feel, and the beat just pounds along, driving every line home. This song is good proof of the real extent of BJ's abilities. To be able to do an ominous dark song just as well as they do a rocking anthem or a powerful love song is extremely impressive.

Extra points for being really fun to sing.

My Rating: 9/10

Some friendly advice: Someday, try listening to "Love for Sale" with a hangover. It fits nicely. Also, for the love of God, pay attention to the cultural trappings of drink names. "Kamikaze" does not imply super-happy-fun-wuss drink ;)

Edited 3/25/06: Added lyrics

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great song, but there actually IS another version of this, not a HUGE difference, but it was a B-Side