3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

1.18.2006

#27 - Mister Big Time

Artist: Jon Bon Jovi (please correct me if I'm wrong, I've seen it listed some places as "Bon Jovi" and some places as "Jon Bon Jovi")
Album: Armageddon Soundtrack
Other Versions: None
Era: uh, whatever year Armageddon was made...late 90s?

Lyrics

Yeah, it's late today. Blame Lost (also, blame Lost for my enraged yelling fit earlier, and the heart attack I think I'm having as we speak...well, I type, you read).

This is a fairly generic heavier pop rock song. I like it, but I don't love it. It might grow on me - I only heard it for the first time about a week ago, so it hasn't had much of a chance, especially compared to the two years I've had the box set and the yearish I've had the rest of the albums.

There's crunchy guitar and a nice poundy beat, and there's also some awesome "weedly weedly weedly weeee" kind of higher electric guitar. It goes well with the kind of "kiss my ass, man I rule" tone of the song.

I like Jon's voice in this one. It's the lower end of middle for him, and then he raises it up for the "na na na na na na na na na na na na naaaa" parts so they stand out a bit.

It's too repetitive for me to really love. It has the same problem that "I'll Be There For You" has in some parts - to rhyme, he just repeats words. With "you" it's not as noticeable, but the "time...time....time" thing kind of grates on me after a while.

It's generic, but well done in that regard. It's kind of hard, but not too hard for the average listener. It's kind of cute, but edgy. It's a fairly middle-of-the-road song for me.

My Rating: 5/10

Edited 3/25/06: Added lyrics

No comments: