3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

1.24.2006

#33 - Born to Be My Baby

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: New Jersey, This Left Feels Right
Other Versions: Acoustic (Yokohama 2003 Unplugged show)
Era: Late 80s "hair metal"

Lyrics
Lyrics (TLFR)
Video

This was my favorite Bon Jovi song for a long time before I even heard Bon Jovi sing it.

I swear that makes sense. A little while after I got the box set, when I was in one of my crazy hardcore obsessive periods (my Bon Jovi thing is cyclical, I have different stages of fandom/obsessiveness), I picked up Covered Dead or Alive: A Tribute to Bon Jovi because it was a lot cheaper than any of the actual Bon Jovi cds. Most of the songs on there are fairly mediocre, but BTBMB really stood out.

I wasn't disappointed at all with the real version. This is one of the most fun songs in the history of time. I am totally not exaggerating. Try to not at least bounce along in your seat with the "na na na na / na na na / na na na na" part. I don't think there's any better song for when you're alone in the house and want to turn something way up and just belt it out..

This is one of my favorite BJ videos. They're all so freaking adorable in it. This video is the only time I will drool over someone in a Yankees hat, and that's probably only because at no point does it actually show the NY symbol. Freaking Yankees stole my Johnny Damon.

The acoustic version doesn't lose any of the fun bounciness of the original. If anything, it's actually more fun than the original. I think they play it a little faster unplugged. Ify ou can get your hands on it, give it a listen.

The TLFR version I can take or leave. I'm not like a lot of people, I don't mind TLFR at all. It was kind of a pointless venture, and I don't like that "Wanted" at all, but some of them turned out pretty good. I think it would have been a cooler idea to go back and redo some of their early stuff they don't like, see if they can tweak it to a point they like it now. I love TLFR "It's My Life". This one, it's ok. It's not better than the original, and it's a bit overblown, but it's not bad.

My Rating: 8/10

Edited 3/25/06: Added lyrics and video

No comments: