3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

5.12.2006

#112 - We All Sleep Alone

Artist: Richie Sambora
Album: None
Other Versions: Cher (and I THINK there MIGHT be two Cher versions. That, or Tico's retarded)
Era: N/A

Lyrics

You guys are dicks. You voted Richie over David. I need to crank up the intensity of the brainwasher.

I don't really think you're dicks. Honest.

Oh, the reason I call Tico (maybe) retarded is I have his stupid cheesy low-budget drumming instructional video (it is incredible - I have David's keyboard video too) and he mentions Cher's "We All Sleep Alone" as a slow ballad-y song. But the only version I've ever heard her do is a really fast, kicked-up, just-this-side-of-techno version. And when Richie sings it, it isn't ballad-y, it's upper mid-tempo. So if there isn't a slower version out there, Tico's retarded. He's the most bad-ass retard ever, but still.

(All this babbling, does she ever plan to actually talk about the song?)

Maybe.

And by that I mean yes.

I like Richie's version of this. Not better than Cher's, but I like them for different reasons. I love the way Richie sings this - very passionate, but still nicely rocking. And I love, love, love Crystal, the back-up singer. She's incredible, and provides this really nice contrast for Richie's voice. When they're doing the "Yeah (yeah)" thing building up into the "oh yeah, alright *syllables*" thing near the end, it's just perfect.

For someone who doesn't know the difference between ballad, mid-tempo, and fast techno-y, Tico plays the drums for this one really well. Another one of the reasons I like this one so much (which is odd, because Tico played on Cher's version, too. It's different, though). And David - I'm glad Richie had David play for him. The two of them mesh incredibly well, playing and writing and such. David and Richie as a team are sorely overlooked and underrated. His part in this isn't glaringly obvious, but when he's there it works.

I like the lyrics to this one, particularly " Independence has come/And into the night I GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO". Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

My Rating: 8/10

What? They're different songs? BUT THEY HAVE THE SAME NAME. HOW CAN THAT BEEE?
  • Rockin' All Over the World (David)
  • Rockin' All Over the World (Bon Jovi)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

BJ's "Rockin' All Over the World".

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for doing We All Sleep Alone! :)

But I have to disapoint you know and put my vote on BJ's Rockin In..
Haven't heard Dave's... sorry!

Anonymous said...

Rockin' All Over the World - BJ..