3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

5.05.2006

#106 - On A Full Moon

Artist: David Bryan
Album: Lunar Eclipse
Other Versions: None
Era: N/A

This might not be the best day for me to write about David without going into some huge ridiculous rant, but we'll see.

"Full Moon" isn't a happy song, really. But it isn't sad, either. It's...contemplative, I guess. It very much invokes the image of sitting outside on a clear summer night with a full moon and just laying in the grass and thinking about things. And sometimes your thoughts get depressing, and sometimes they're happy, and you don't audit them at all. You just lie there and think things as they come and go completely passive, just watching the sky and letting stuff drift through your head as it will.

I love how this starts. He just kind of pounds the low end of the keyboard and makes you sit up and take notice, then he dances around at the high end, hits the low end again, then he moves on. It is, at the same time, simple and complex. You know how a little kid at a piano just puts all their fingers down at once to hear the "DUNNNNN" at the low end? It's kind of like that, but with this air that comes from David not being a little kid. It isn't unpleasant, it's unexpected and it draws you right in.

I would pay so much money to watch David play for a while. Assuming I had money, of course. Just to sit and watch. Especially this song, because I can see the way his hands are moving very clearly in my mind, and I'd like to see it for real. Plus I'd get a kick out of watching David play when he isn't on stage trying so hard to "rock out".

David's moon thing is interesting. Interesting because watching stuff like Access All Areas and the BJTV segments and any other behind-the-scenes stuff, David's just this big giant goof who you kind of get the feeling never really grew up, but the moon is a very calm sort of thing. And yet he's named his two solo albums after moon things, two of his kids have moon-related middle names, his website has a moon cycles thing. Hell, he did the Moonlight Sonata for that Steinway to Heaven cd. It doesn't totally mesh. Except it works for him, it does. And it's interesting, because it gives you this little glimpse into his personality that isn't there if you just watch him on the aforementioned backstage stuff.

As far as Bon Jovi is concerned, David kind of is the moon. I mean - Jon is the sun, most definitely. He's bright and flashy and if he wants you to notice him you damn well notice him. Richie would be the clouds, and not like the bad "oh no it is going to rain goddammit" clouds, but just clouds. He's the one with the ability to overshadow Jon if he so chooses. And clouds covering the sun is kind of negative, I know, but that's not really how I mean it. And David, he's the moon. Because he depends on the sun for you to even notice him (we all know David wouldn't be famous without Jon) but he is his own thing. And you get a bit more of a chance to study him because he doesn't have to worry about keeping up any image he doesn't want to. He's got all these nuances the sun does have, but you can't see 'em because if the sun de-brightened itself enough for you to really look at it, it'd fuck everything up. So yeah, that's my dorky-ass metaphor. Analogy? Whatever. I have no idea what celestial body Tico is. Something that smokes a lot and could kick your ass.

My Rating: 9/10

My faith in Jon needs a lot of restoring. A lot, lot, lot of restoring.
  • Keep the Faith
  • Dry County
Read my LJ if you want to know why it needs restoring. I don't need to rant about it any more right now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

im still upset with him about that interview too :\

dry county

Anonymous said...

Jon tends to get like that ... it's the Lead Singer Syndrome. He sometimes forgets it's not all about him - that there are other guys in the band.

Dry County. Please. Oh dear God.

Hector Rashbaum said...

I wish he'd go back to that too. Even if it was just Richie...He's been slowly phasing out the others in terms of importance. And the fact that it even got to Richie in this interview, that bothered me a lot, because Richie's the one Jon's always acknowledged, regardless of what he says about the others.

It worries me. Because if I were any one of them I would have stopped putting up with it long ago. You know there isn't a picture of Tico on the back of the Live From London dvd? He's in the group shot, but instead of an individual picture of him it's the inflatable Satan. Count up the pictures of each one of them on one of those "lots of little photos" album/dvd covers. The imbalance is insane.

It's not fair. And it's worse because it wasn't always this bad.

Anonymous said...

It will get better during time, Hector. I have not yet watched the whole video as for my slow Interent, but - it's just puff, Bongiovi style. Just forget it - Jon was always meant for speaking that way, you'd rather never take him seriously or mind that. He is just that... vain one.
Ok, let's go for a sole Keep The Faith vote.

Anonymous said...

I think, like blaze said, it's the Lead singer syndrome. Jon can be a very nice guy if he wants to. At least that's what I think.

I vote for Dry County.

Hector Rashbaum said...

"Jon was always meant for speaking that way, you'd rather never take him seriously or mind that."

You know, that attitude isn't fair. You haven't seen it, so you haven't gotten to see his body language, the way he was responding. It wasn't a joking kind of thing, he was very serious. And I know you love Jon, and want to cut him some slack, and honestly I'd love to cut him some slack too. But it's just - you don't treat your friends like that, you don't treat your coworkers/bandmates like that...it's not okay.

"Maybe the guys have some sort of understanding, they just know this is how he is, but if I were any of them, especially David at the moment, I'd be so pissed off."

See, this is what worries me. Because say this is an ongoing thing - which it might be - David might very well leave. And then what the Hell do I do? Let's be realistic here, David isn't going to strike out on his own and make some hugely successful solo album.

Although to be honest, right now I'm almost pulling for him to leave. Like you said, we don't know how it is for them, but...he doesn't deserve that. At all.

"I think, like blaze said, it's the Lead singer syndrome. Jon can be a very nice guy if he wants to. At least that's what I think."

Oh I'm sure he's a nice guy. Just a nice guy who has a very unfair attitude towards a lot of people.

Anonymous said...

I'd imagine it's always been like this. I mean, sure - when they got back together for KTF and Jon wouldn't do an interview without the other guys it was a nice gesture, but it was still the same. It's been that way from day one - stemming from the pure fact that the band is named after Jon. And although I'm sure the guys don't make a big deal of how much more attention Jon gets than the rest of them - it must bug them a little.

I also think that if Jon was selfless and requested the enitre band with him - I think he wouldn't be as popular. The arrogant prick thing works for some people. Jon is one of them.

Nonetheless, Jon has that attitude. But it's the brotherhood and time that keeps the band together.

End rant. *steps off soapbox*

Anonymous said...

Dear Hector, I do not love Jon really. I just like him, because of some reasons which are quite obvious. But if he really did just like you said, it is his problem - and I do know (well, at least from few read interviews) that he can be a pain in ass sometimes - luckily, not at al the time.. What's about friends, I pity Dave and others. He deserves more if that's all truth.