3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

5.10.2006

#110 - Borderline

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: demo-ed for Slippery, B-Side on some New Jersey single
Other Versions: None
Era: Late 80s "hair metal"

Lyrics

It opens with "ooh-oohs" and a slow build. That is the best sign ever that I am going to like a song. That, and it's cheesy and singable, and disgustingly overblown, and David co-wrote it. It is not physically possible for me to dislike this song.

The ooh-oohs sold me on the song right from the beginning, but I don't like it any less as it turns into an actual song with actual words. I love the way Jon sings, he's so so so intense. This is just a stupid cheesy relationship-going-bad song but goddamn does Jon think it's the most important thing he's ever sung. Especially when he hits the this or thats at the ends of the verses - end of the beginning or beginning of the end, friend of the enemy or enemy of the friend, dream a reality or reality a dream. He just belts those like they're some hardcore deep shit.

This might be the best sing-along song every. You have to get into it, have to clench your fists and wave your arms around and belt it with just as much intensity as Jon does, making all these doofy facial expressions because you're sooo into it. I get the weirdest looks when I'm singing this one, and if you know me that's saying something very big.

The keyboard in the chorus is the best keyboard work ever. Hands down, no contest. It is so exactly what is going on in the song - it's intense and cheesy and overblown and it just fits. I don't think he's ever done keyboard that is the absolute essence of a song so much as he's done it for. When I think "Borderline", I think of the keyboard, then the ooh-oohs, then the vocals.

My Rating: 9/10

Covers. With someone else. Because I say so.
  • Heart of Stone (w/ Southside Johnny)
  • Celluloid Heroes (w/ Ray Davies)
Oh, and it has been confirmed for me that Jon didn't call Tico gay. He said "y el mas macho" which is "he is the manliest". Not that thing where he claims Tico only likes men. But I'm leaving it in the entry because it makes me giggle like an idiot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heart of Stone.

Anonymous said...

Heart of Stone. Because I like Southside Johnny. I really do.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard Bon Jovi's cover of it, but I like the song anyway

Heart of Stone