3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

2.22.2006

#54 - Miracle

Artist: Jon Bon Jovi
Album: Blaze of Glory
Other Versions: Live Acoustic, circulating the web/filesharing places
Era: N/A

Lyrics
Video

It pisses me right the fuck off when people talk about Blaze of Glory like it's a "Bon Jovi" album. Same singer does not equal the same band, I don't care if it sounds the same to the casual listener.

I had to get that out before I can talk about any of these songs, haha.

I love this song. I like the feel of the whole album - I think Jon synced up perfectly with Young Guns' poppy version of the Old West - and this song in particular manages to blend the pop culture-ness and the Old West-ness very well.

This one has some of my favorite lyrics:

"You said it ain't fair that a man walks / when a bird can fly / We gotta kick the ground / the stars kiss the sky / They say that spirits live / but man has to die / They promised us truth and now they're giving us lies" just resonates with me, and I'm not sure I can pinpoint why. It's depressing but there's optimism in the tone, and it's very stream of consciousness. And I like the way he sings it.

"I had big plans / so big that any blind man can see / I'm standing in the river / now I'm drowning in the sea." goes with Emilio's Billy very well. Especially in YG2 - he's just doing his thing and suddenly he's totally overwhelmed and not really sure why, but everything's going wrong and he's losing all his friends and it's just too much.

I also really really like the part where he says "'cause I believe that you can fly." That says it all, really. I love it. This is probably my favorite JBJ song lyrically - it'd take forever to go through every lyric I love, and most of them would be "I'm not sure why I like it, I just do" so I'll spare you.

I hate the live acoustic version I have of this, by the way. It's fairly recent, and it sounds like it should be really pretty, but Jon can't remember the words for the life of him. He fumbles and repeats stuff and substitutes "kiss" for "kick" and it's just kind of sad for someone who loves the lyrics as much as I do. I'll cut him some slack, I assume it was spur of the moment and he can't really be expected to remember 22 years worth of lyrics, but it's still a big let-down. I'm holding out for a good acoustic version of this because I bet it would be amazing.

My Rating: 10/10

A commenter pointed out that "In and Out of Love" is right up there with cheesy Bon Jovi videos, and you are totally right. I love Bon Jovi in the 80s! Any video that makes my brain feel kind of funny in a happy way is a good video, haha.

Also: if anyone has any tips/hints/whatever for getting decent tickets to a concert when ticketmaster isn't really cooperating with my idea of "best available", I'd really appreciate it. I'm looking for some close-to-face-value Motley Crue (my second favorite band at the moment) floor or otherwise close to the stage tickets for when they're here in P-funk on March 8th, and I'm not having any luck.

Edited 3/25/06: Added video

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading these, but shouldn't this entry be "Miracle"?

Anonymous said...

I was just about to post this, you're talking about the wrong song! Still another great entry though!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to suggest something. First of all, I love this blog and your thoughts on these songs, especially the one you did on "The Answer" - one of my all time favs!
My suggestion is, maybe you could set up a poll with like 5 different titles, and visitors could vote for which one you should do next?

Anonymous said...

I also just wanna say how pissed off I get when people refer to Blaze Of Glory as a Bon Jovi, but it's no wonder when they release a 3CD set that includes BOG, and also when it's on their Greatest Hits!

Anonymous said...

If YouTube doesn't have the video - perhaps try ClipShack?