3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

2.01.2006

#40 - Crazy

Artist: Tico Torres
Album: None
Other Versions: Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, I'm sure there's a large number of covers of this one
Era: N/A

Lyrics

I've been gushing about Tico like crazy (no pun intended - I cringed when I wrote that though) for a while now, so I might as well take advantage of that and do a song where he's the focus.

When I heard "Only In My Dreams" on the box set, I was...less than impressed. It was certainly something different, but I just couldn't get into it. It's kind of the opposite of David - with "Memphis", I fell instantly in love and needed more. With "Dreams", I just decided it was too different and kind of ignored it for a long time.

So when Jemma sent me Tico's "Crazy", I was apprehensive at best. I was looking forward to listening to it for the "yay it's rare and I have it now" factor, but I just couldn't see him doing one of the finest songs in the history of country music justice.

Then the song started and I fell out of my chair (true story - they're designed to tilt back without falling over, but I was already tilting back and Tico distracted me so much I forgot and leaned back more). It's just gorgeous.

His voice is an acquired taste, but when you look at him, you realize it's exactly how the badass mafia-looking guy with the big cigar should sing. Growly. And if you know more about Tico, then he sings just like the way you'd expect the owner of a baby clothing line who's also an artist to sing. Passionate. Which, once you get used to the mix, it works.

When Jon was talking on the box set dvd about "Dreams", he mentioned he wanted Tico to sing it because "he means it from his belly. That passion and feeling comes across so much more in "Crazy". Tico is feeling it and he makes you feel it too. You can't be un-emotional listening to him sing this, unless you have no soul.

Jemma sent this to me on the 26th, and I've listened to it 25 times since, not counting the ten or eleven times I've played on the iPod when I'm not in the room. It's gorgeous and I'm in love.

And Tico's voice, that "acquired taste" that initially completely turned me off, now makes me want to have sex with the man I've always considered the least attractive - by far - member of BJ. Not that you needed to know that, but now you have a little better idea of just what his voice is and does.

My Rating: 10/10

Now maybe I've gotten Tico out of my system enough to compliment more than just the drum work in a song, haha.

Oh, and I'm heading home for the weekend and I'll be on a Greyhound for most of the day tomorrow. If I can actually un-lazy myself enough to pack early, there'll be an update up before I go. If not, it'll be fairly late before I get one up.

Edited 3/25/06: Added lyrics

No comments: