3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

2.11.2006

#45 - Tokyo Road

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: 7800 Fahrenheit
Other Versions: None that I know of
Era: early 80s "synth rock"

Lyrics

Hey, I remembered the title this time!

The intro almost made me turn this off without listening to the song the first time through the cd. I didn't, and I'm glad because this is a decent song. But the little high notes and the Japanese girl - I love cheese, but even I have limits.

I like the heavier feel of this song. 7800 was written and recorded, as the stories go, during a time when everyone was pretty miserable in their personal lives, and this album reflects that constantly. With this song, it's not so much the lyrics as the tone.

This is some of my favorite drumming ever in the history of Bon Jovi. Tico's just in the background enjoying himself, pounding away. The drumming is so different at some points in the song it's like he's doing his own thing, but it always fits and it always works. I've never seen this performed live and probably never will, but I get the feeling this is one of those songs Tico plays with a huge freaking smile, like he's having the absolute time of his life.

(That's my favorite picture of Tico ever, I just wanted an excuse to throw it in here. Screw professional photos, the one I took myself of him looking like he's the happiest he's ever been is gold)

I like the guitar in this one. It's one of my favorite songs as far as guitar goes - the solo is amazing. Richie just lets loose, goes crazy, and I swear if I were watching him play there'd be fire coming out of the end of that freaking guitar.

Jon's voice in this song is stellar. There's so much energy and passion and fire in it, he is singing his ass out of this one. Above probably any other song, "Tokyo" makes the fact that they refuse to play anything old except "Runaway" seem especially confusing. This is rocking and high-energy and except for the very beginning and the part where Jon's talking about the prostitute, almost completely devoid of cheese. I can just see a packed house singing along, pumping their fists with the chorus, just getting really into it. Tico in the back wailing on those drums like they just killed his puppy and he needs to beat some revenge into them, Richie setting his guitar on fire, David bouncing around like an idiot like he does when he's really into a song. Maybe Hugh would even move a little - although in this fantasy concert in my brain it would be Alec, getting hardcore into it like the rock star he was. Jon bouncing around the stage, just belting it into the mic and fuck the people who say his voice doesn't cut it anymore, because man is he killing this one.

Doesn't that sound nice? This isn't my favorite pre-SWW song, but it is the one I most dream about seeing live. I can't listen to it without seeing what I just described - this song is tailor freaking made for a crazy high-energy Bon Jovi concert.

I'll keep dreaming. And skipping the first 45 seconds.

My Rating: 7/10

Edited 3/25/06: Added lyrics

No comments: