3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

12.25.2005

#7 - Back Door Santa

Artist: Bon Jovi
Album: A Very Special Christmas
Other Versions: Jet, I know there's more but none I know off the top of my head
Era: Christmas

This is my favorite Bon Jovi Christmas song. By far. It's my favorite non-traditional Christmas song, as well. I love it so much.

The concept amuses me - a Christmas song about a man-slut, I don't know why it wasn't made sooner.

The lyrics are cute, if a little dated. "If the kids come home, I give 'em a few pennies so we can be alone". No modern kid would be kept away long for three cents.

I love the guitar parts in this song, to the point where I tend to sing along with them instead of the vocals sometimes (there's only a couple songs I do that for, the keyboards in "Runaway" being all I can think of right now). Actually, once I had a bit too much "Christmas spirit" and tried to sing the guitar parts at the same time as the vocals. That didn't turn out too well.

I can't really define the appeal this song has for me - it's fun and it's a lot more "rock" than most Christmas songs, but there's a lot of fun rock Christmas song. Whatever it is, I tend to rock out to this in December, January, August, whenever. Good good song.

My Rating: 10/10

No comments: