3 decades of rock, in convenient bite-sized pieces

12.23.2005

#5 - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

Artist: Jon Bon Jovi
Album: A Very Special Christmas Live
Other Versions: Hanson, U2, Death Cab for Cutie, Mariah Carey, Cher, Phil Spector, probably several others I'm missing
Era: Christmas

I haven't listened to this song in a little under a year. Sometime between last Christmas and this Christmas I lost the cd it was on, and haven't been able to track it down for a refresher course. So bear with me, I'll do my best here.

There's two things I really remember about Jon's version of this song - he didn't sound as passionate as he does in his other Christmas songs, and near the end his voice got borderline nasal and started to grate on my nerves a bit.

This is a fun song, and it manages to be happy while talking about loneliness and longing which is odd but it works. I wish I still had his version of it to listen to to go a little more in-depth with this, but sadly I don't. Maybe next Christmas I'll find it and be able to do a "new and improved" Baby Please Come Home review. If I do track it down, I'll expand on this a bit.

My Rating: 7/10

No comments: